Monday, March 16, 2009

Ped follow up and an attempt at introspection.

Y'all are going to jump ship due to my lack of pictures. What can I say? I've been a little busy and I am not about to photograph a poopy diaper or my kiddo screaming as she got 5 vaccinations today. I do believe she called that medical assistant something ugly. It was too organized to only be babble ;0)

Her respiratory issues are much improved as are her ears. Hooray! We will continue the antibiotics and the inhaled meds for 10-14 days and, hopefully, be able to bid adieu to that chapter of the homecoming. Unfortunately, we need more bloodwork on Friday due to a need to evaluate some abnormals further. I'm not expecting any dire news so we'll just see what the week brings. We return in 6 weeks for pediatric follow-up.

In the meantime, it is the pediatric ophthalmologist, pediatric dentist and early intervention up next. Good thing I was fortunate enough to have some time off because little Wing is a full-time job plus right now.

Sleep was better last night. The occasional orphanage scream and right back to sleep was it. Tonight I gave her ibuprofen because of all the vaccinations today. Hopefully it keeps her comfy. We just had one screaming episode but that was instigated by a need to poop and being a bit constipated. We are still finding the groove right for her. We birthed a poopy and it was right back to bed where she was asleep in seconds. (Never in my life did I think I would ever type that sentence.) Even at her worst with sleep, which I thought was horrid, it could have been so much worse and I am thankful she is seeming to adjust without too many hitches.

I love seeing the Wing's personality continue to bloom as she feels better, adjusts to the time changes and the culture shock. I am getting those smiles and giggles now with much more ease. There is still guard but it is far, far different. As well, she LOVES the cats. This was not mutual at first but now they quite well dig her back when she spits or drops her food on the floor.

Day by day we are growing in our comfort as a family. It feels good to know that inside. The first couple nights home were so very hard that I really wondered if I was going to feel okay about it all, if I was really up to it. Already, that feeling has dissipated and it is so much easier to be there with my all when I let go of those concerns. I don't know exactly when it was but something just clicked in these past days and it is no longer a 'me' totally apart in consideration from a 'you'. It is 'me and you' together. I'm thinking far less of what I cannot do that I could have by myself and far more of all the new avenues of the things we can do together. It's very different but it IS all good. It just took me a little time to wrap myself around that. Of course, I've known intellectually for years how different it would be. Still, that matters little until one really experiences the changes. Reading about it or seeing it and doing it are two totally different animals.

I'm looking forward to new discoveries, growing and changing with every day.....and I don't just mean for my daughter.

23 comments:

Adoption & Fire said...

Can't wait to watch that little Chicken Wing, spread her wings, and do some strutting around the yard. She is a cutie. Congratulations again.

Wendy @ Adoption and Fire

JMCS said...

So glad to hear that little chiclen-wing is doing so great. Hey, did you see that your blog was featured on page 17 of this month's Adoptive Families magazine? Check it out. Also, we need pictures...soon! :)

Hugs,
Jonni

A Beautiful Mess said...

No longer just a journey to your daughter, but a journey with your daughter!

*smooches* to you both~

Robin said...

I'm amazed that you are able to find time to blog at all. I'm telling you, I find it difficult. I think of things to blog about al the time but, by the time I get home, fix dinner, give a bath, read some books and get Maddy to bed... I'm exhausted and can't remember what I was going to talk/write about.. LOL

Loving reading about the two of you and how you are starting to really bond to each other. It's an amazing journey. There are lots of ups and downs, in and outs but its all worth while. :0) I obviously LOVE it because after having raised 5 children to adulthood and finally being on my own again... I'm starting all over and LOVING every minute of it!!! Guess I just love being a Mom :0) You obviously do too!!

Catherine said...

What great changes for both of you! You've been through so much in such a short period of time and it takes a bit to get you mojo back but it seems like mo and jo are once again working together...now as a precious family of 2!!

Anonymous said...

Glad the doctor visit went well. Glad you two are going so well. Isn't it lovely?

Kristy said...

Everything you are experiencing is totally normal and expected. 16 years ago when we brought our daughter home, I went thru Post partum depression for about 3 days and I DID not give birth. I thought I was losing my mind. But on the third day it was like God switched on a lightbulb or something and everything just fell into place. And it was all good. Everything that you just wrote about is in its own way beautiful, I love watching what God has in store for the both of you.

Love and blessings, Kristy

Pug Mama said...

"I'm thinking far less of what I cannot do that I could have by myself and far more of all the new avenues of the things we can do together."

No wiser words were ever spoken.
That is the truth, my sista.
Motherhood is ALL about leaving behind your former self, and opening and EMBRACING a new chapter in your life. It will never be the same. The best is yet to come....
and I had been wondering about the cats - so glad to hear everyone is getting along just fine on that front!

M and M said...

You can handle almost anything if you have a good night's sleep.

Glad to hear that things are going well for you and CW.

What do you call her? Do you call her in a room when you want to get her attention - by her name, CW, Chicken Wing, Wing or something else?

Jesser said...

Ahhh.. these snippets of real life at home with your girl make this overly hormonal pregnant chick all misty (though I'd probably be that way, hormones aside). I'm so happy for you.

Briana's Mom said...

Sounds like things are definitely improving in the Chicken Wing household! Love hearing all these great updates!

Marla said...

You are so right, no amount of reading and research can prepare you for motherhood. It sounds like you and the little CW are really starting to hit it off. So glad she is feeling better, her being so sick had to have made for a pretty rough start for both of you. I look forward to hearing more and yes, seeing some pictures. Y'all take care and again, welcome to Mommyhood, I couldn't be prouder for you! :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

Watching THIS journey is much more fun than watching the previous one. So glad y'all continue to know one another. And I've always felt that we become family in an instant, but it takes awhile to FEEL like a family. So glad that's happening for you.

t~ said...

Welcome to mommyhood...where you no longer matter. ;0) Little people certainly know how to change your view, your world and your heart.

Lost and Found said...

You never know until you're there and living it every moment but CW looks like she was meant to be your daughter. It was always fun to follow the journey's of people before but even after 9 months home myself, it's even better because I've been there and it reminds me of my time in China, etc. All the best as you grow as a family.

Ani said...

What a great update! Hope CW continues to feel better (and that we can see some pics soon!)

Liz and Ava said...

So glad to hear you and your little chicken wing are settling in to your own routine.
Life is so different once you have your little one home with you full time...as you said nothing can really prepare you for the reality of it...it takes us all a little while to settle into our own groove and get used to the different lifestyle...but I'm sure you would agree...it's all so worth it! Can't wait for more pics of your cutie patootie!

Anonymous said...

So glad the CW is doing much better. Isn't if funny how prepared you can be intellectually for all of this, but the experience part is still such a surprise. Glad you are enjoying so much of the ride. Even the hard stuff is great when you know she is yours. So glad she is slowly starting to get that,too.

Daniella said...

You are right on - no reading, etc could ever fully prepare you - it's even better when it happens :) Glad everyone is getting into a groove!

Special K said...

Happy to hear you're finding your groove with each other. Love what PM said about leaving your former self and embracing the new.

All this talk of babies makes me want to go RIGHT NOW to get mine. Hurry up CCAA!

PS. Throw us a bone here, girlfriend. We need a pic of that cutie patootie. Pretty please. :)

Brownie Troop 157 said...

So glad things are working out for you both. Its funny how everythings seem better with a good night's sleep. From one single mom to another...that's the key...sleep when she sleeps. Even if you think you can't and have a million things to do. Otherwise, you will find yourself quickly burning out.

Problem is, once you think you have it all under control, she'll change on you as she gets older and throw everything in disarray. I found it almost impossible to go grocery shopping with my daughter from about 14 mo to a little over 2 years. Luckily, my sister helped me out. That's my second tip to surviving single motherhood...ask for and/or accept help. Hard to do if you're a control freak like me, but a necessary survival skill!

I think you're doing FAB and love following your blog. Brings back such nice memories.

Kind regards from Miami,

Carol and Taylor

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Just so you know....I STILL have times, as a parent, that I'm not sure that I'm "up for it". :-) It will come and go...but hang in there. The good FAR outweighs the bad!

Vivian M said...

I look forward to picturs of you teaching CW how to ride a John Deere!
Glad you are both feeling better and adjusting, give yourself time.
Hope all the tests come back OK.
Hugs to you both!