We knew it would all end up here at some point ;0) A few weeks back a girly get-together got on the topic of hovering, covering and plopping on down in public restrooms. Hence, the poll in the sidebar. I was surprised that it was quite close in the end (no pun intended). I would have lost that bet for sure. Goes to show that one tends to think others behave as they do (even if it doesn't make sense). I really thought the hoverers would run away with the poll. After all, I live by the belief that "unidentified moisture is NEVER good". The thought of touching flesh to a public potty seat really binds me up. I do all I can to avoid public potties at all. Yeah, my kid will have issues about this I am sure. If that's the worst thing I ever make her neurotic about then we're in good shape. We've all got our hang ups.
In defense of the potty ploppers, you probably ARE the more sensible. I actually did a microbiology experiment at university. I cultured a phone, a chair, a public toilet seat and a handrail amongst other things. Truth be told: the toilet seat was one of the lowest colony counts (i.e. cleanest) around. Don't get me started on the phone and the handrail....egad, that was horrifying. It's a much better choice to put a toilet seat by your ear to chat.
Despite logic (and science), I will continue to hover and pretend that awful things lurk on the seat because, forever yours, "unidentified moisture is NEVER good". I should be able to use a squatty, eh?
******
On another topic, someone I know is on call and a conversation quite like this happened:
Caller: I am two days late for my cycle and I just know the baby is going to be in trouble because I took an antibiotic and had some tests.
Provider: The baby? You took a pregnancy test and it was positive?
Caller: No, I'm just sure the baby is in trouble.
Provider: Have you been on a form of birth control?
Caller: Why would I be? I'm not in a relationship. I don't have sex.
Provider: ???????????? (Just when I think the provider can't be left speechless).
******
Have a good night :0)
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



25 comments:
Your potty humor cracks me up bc
1) it's funny, and
2) we just did that same experiment in my microbiology class today:-)
The cell phones were GROSS. And you wouldn't believe what was actually really disgusting......someone swabbed the INSIDE of the water fountain (right where the water comes out) and cultured it. The WHOLE plate was covered in bacteria!!! GROSS! Our micro prof is going to test it to find out what it is. Soooo gross!
The toilet wasn't clean, though...
So ladies,
Hover or Cover :-)
I potty trained on a squatty, so I also am a hoverer. And will forever be.
I have to admit that I could never hover and go. That would make all of the plumbing freeze immediately. I cover the potty (and it has to be a clean one) with loads of TP and hope for the best. So far (47 years; 45 if you do not count the first 2 years that I was in diapers) I am happy to report that I am just fine.
Oh and btw, was that conversation for real...oy!!!
I really enjoyed this post!!! I too am amazed at how close the poll was...
Have a wonderful Day
Wendy
I doubt that anyone can convince me that a public toilet set is clean! I think I will always Hover or Cover!
Was it the Virgin Mary on the phone? Wow, that left me speechless too.
Don't worry about your hang ups, your Mom probably cursed you anyway (you know the MOther's curse: "I hope some day your children will be just like you!" - followed by "so you know what I had to put up with"). So you are doomed to have your kid follow in your footsteps regardless!
I'm not a hoverer, but I always line the seat with toilet paper. Just not comfortable hovering. I thought you might want to know this about me. LOL!!!!!
I'm also shocked by how close your poll results were. I can't believe I didn't notice the poll before....I would have voted for being a hoverer. Hey, you asked!! =)
I hover...
You bloglines feed was not working. All of a sudden there were 5 posts...
I was gonna ask if it was Mary on the phone but I guess someone already used that one.
I am really grossed out by the potty thing - I can't believe some people sit. I have already scared my kids on the horrors of public toilets - and I am the same way with railings, phones, etc....
I am shocked by the poll, I must admit! I know my mom instilled my germaphobic bathroom issues in me and I will no doubt instill them in bear cub. Hopefully that will be the only phobias I pass on. (A girl can dream!) :o)
Wow! That poor caller. That's all I can say.
I am terrified of public restrooms. They send me into a panic. If I have to use one, you better believe I hover. Oh, and I grab a paper towel before going into the stall so that I don't have to touch the door handle. Ewww - people touch those things after they wipe. Oh, and I always use my foot to flush.
ICK ICK ICK!
Nope. I do not hover. IMHO, the hoverers are part of the reason the seats aren't clean. Like Lori, I'd stop up if I didn't sit.
Dude... I sit and am comfortable. I figure if 3 liters of bile in my stomach cavity and full blown sepsis didn't kill me... a few little toilet germs ain't got no chance. LOL!
PS. What was that caller smokin'?
The call? Well, I'm speechless. And concerned. Of course a friend of mine worked for an agency that gave out the pill to low income families and one lady came back as she had been "inserting" the pill and was having some problems. Of course, why would you swallow a pill when it is meant for action happening "down there"? You just can't assume, ya know.
Oh and yes, I cover, cover, cover! Hate public restrooms and don't get me started on those port a potties like before a race or at a beer fest. Gag...
Your unidentified moisture is my suspicious fluid. There's no way I'm plopping down.
EWWWWW....the handrail in my building at a university is the nastiest thing ever! I honestly think you can SEE the germs crawling around. I HATE it when I accidently touch it going up or down the stairs! I'd rather fall and break a limb than touch that grossness. (OK, yes, I do have a small problem with germs.)
Unidentified moisture...makes my skin crawl. I am a seat wiper! I will wipe any moisture or whatnot before I come close to sitting or hovering.
Caller...watch out for boiled bunny!
Keep smilin!
That call is just plain weird! As for the potty poll...interesting! Public restrooms are so scary to me, and I'm soooo dreading a public place in China.
P.S...tag, you're it. Check out my blog for the rules.
Was the caller's name "mary" by any chance?!! Either that or she was 12?!! Fear not, I've had "the talk" with my girl. She's all wised up! Although totally freaked me out, when she asked "So I could have a baby now, if I had my period"... I said "NO!!!" quickly followed by "well, physically yes - but it would involve sex... so NO! You wouldn't be having a baby now!!!"
I will forever be a hover girl and potty training the 3 boys was a breeze. I have no idea how to take a little girl to the potty and get her to hover. One more thing to worry about.
stumbled across your blog.. glad I did..
This post had me rolling. Omgoodness, YOU ARE A HOOT!
Thanks for the laughs!
And the name of your blog,HILARIOUS!clever
;)
Amie
www.heart-smiles.blogspot.com
Ugh... The whole potty thing is super intimidating to me, esp. with Nora. She just doesn't have a healthy fear of germs yet. When I take her to with me to a public restroom, she doesn't understand why it's not ok to touch everything and sit/lie down on the bathroom floor. Gag...
As far as colony counts on toilet seats vs phones/handrails goes--I'm still hovering. I just read something about a certain poisonous spider that can sometimes live on the under side of a toilet seat and bites people's bums when they sit down. 5 women who all sat down on a toilet seat at an Olive garden in Florida died from it!
Thank goodness my mother trained me to be a hoverer--another benefit is that it works your legs muscles. I'm all for burning easy calories when I pee!
Love the blog, can't wait for you to get your referral!
~~Annie
Post a Comment