Monday, August 3, 2009

If it's not one thing..it's your mother.

Yeah, yeah. I am hesitant to post a word about it because I have received a few responses from friends who wonder when there isn't something going on in my life. Well, I have come to the conclusion that I will continue to disappoint those friends. Simply put, as a single mom to a newly-minted toddler, a 'sandwich generation' gal helping care for aging parents and a job that always has several balls in the air there IS always something going on. I can hack it so why can't I talk about it without feeling guilty?? I'm certainly not whining. Every now and then I just need a little ventilation. Honestly, I would have no idea what to do with myself if I had a life with much spare time on my own.

The latest? I missed 3 word Sunday with a good note from my mama. I also turfed my call weekend to unsuspecting back-up... NOT something I take lightly. My girl had more experience with her aunties this weekend than she has ever had. But, she took it all in stride and is doing fab.

Why? On my call nights my parents reside at my house so a familiar adult is here should I need to run out for a birth. No biggie since 'C' is sleeping 99% of the time when this happens. My mom arose Saturday morning feeling unwell. Okay, we can handle that too. No problem...a little nausea, a little GI discomfort. Alrighty then. We'd get through. Out of nowhere, however, she did her best of making the house a crime scene. She had a massive GI bleed. (If you have a weak stomach just skip the part about the blood spray dripping down the walls, all over the floors...you get the idea). Fortunately, C saw none of this as it was naptime. Mom didn't think so much of the blood loss and consciousness was fading fast so, of course, 911 was called and the squad arrived pronto. C slept through all of that racket as they loaded up my mom and toted her down the steps. Amazing. My dad followed the squad and I waited for an auntie to arrive and stay with C so I could get to the ER.

Long story short, things were very dire for a while. (For those who know what it means, her hgb was 4.1 and pressures precariously low.) The bleed was stopped, she received many units of blood and she is improving. She has some enormous ulcerations healing now with large doses of soothing meds. I expect mom will be back here with me to mend more completely either tomorrow night or Wednesday. Yes, we know what caused the problem but that is a discussion for another day because this did not need to happen. It wasn't anything my parents did, they were following the instructions of someone who should have known better. Let me suffice it to say that prescription medications are nothing to eschew for anyone but especially in the older population.

Scary, scary moments there. But, we are out the other side for now. That was my weekend. It was certainly better than my mom's weekend but I have to say it wasn't on my list of faves.

The worst of the worst in the house is taken care of but I seriously thought about trying to find crime scene clean-up people. Alas, back to work I go because I really don't want her to see how horrifying it was when she comes back. Poor thing. It was such a terrible and frightening thing to see and, well, not much scares me. I am just ever-grateful that C was down for her nap at the time and that this was all in an area that could be closed off from her view.

See, it IS always something. But, that's life. Overall, mine is pretty grand most days so what's to complain about? Not a thing. I've got far more blessings than anything else. And, I am happy to say, I am blessed to hang onto mama a while longer yet. Good thing because C really digs her grammy too.

I'll try to come up with a fluffy post next time. Maybe something about how I finally caught up on blogs and am now over 100 posts behind again. Whew, you people can write!

Enjoy and be well.

28 comments:

4D said...

I am so sorry that your Mom had to experience that and so happy that she is doing better. Things have a way of working out (i.e. a heavy sleeper!!)

Keep smilin!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

To be quite honest, I'd rather read the real stuff than the fluff any day of the week and I suspect that most of your friends and followers would as well. I'm so sorry that your mom went through so much and that it was scary for all of you to see. I'm glad that she is getting the care she needs and that she is on the mend. Thinking about all of you.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I just want to give you a big hug. I don't even know what else to say.

Catherine said...

So sorry your mom had to go through this - especially since it was preventable. So unfair to her, your dad and yourself too. ((hugs)) friend.

No pressure to post or comment. Just be well, take the time you need and know that friends near and far are loving, supporting and praying for you. xo

Beeb said...

good googly moo a hgb 4.1!!! Dude - that's impressive. How scary. I'm having a few palpitations just reading that!
I'm so relieved that she is on the mend and will be home with you soon.

..wow 4.1

Lisa~~ said...

Wow, never a dull moment. Sending good wishes your Mum's way and sorry that she had to go through what she did.

M3 said...

Fluff--who needs it? Meh.
Take care of yourself, and your mama too. Would have scared the crap out of me.

Michelle said...

That sounds terrifying. I am so sorry your Mom was so unwell. I hope she is feeling back to normal soon! I know how it can be when your parents are elderly. My father is turning 78 this Fall and I worry about his health too.

Marla said...

Oh no, your poor mom, that sounds just awful. I can't even imagine how scary it must have been. I hope she is better and back with you soon. (Hugs)

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Holy Sh$t is all I can say to that weekend. First I am so glad your mom is going to be fine, but that is pretty freaking scary for everyone involved. Glad that C was asleep. Will keep you all in our thoughts.

I think a life that is full of "stuff" is the way of the world, and it would be so boring otherwise...I wish yours to slow a little so you can catch your breath, but hey what doesn't kill makes us stronger...right??

take care and hope your mom is home soon

Anonymous said...

Holy moley!!

you are hardly a whiner - in fact I don't know anyone further from that than you.

what a frightening and stressful weekend. thank God your mom is going to be OK, and that the little wingnut didn't witness any of it.

yikes. hope you get some rest, and that your mom is better, soon.

sending you good juju...

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am so sorry your momma had to go through that (and you and your dad, too, for that matter). Glad she is feeling better and that little C slept through it all like a champ.

Special K said...

Oh my word... I can only imagine how stressful and scary that was. Very glad to hear your mom is healing. And thank gawd for small blessings in that C slept through it all.

Remember, I'm only 45 mins away if you ever need anything. In an emergency I could probably cut my travel to 30 mins. That police sticker on my lic plate should be worth something, right? ;) Take care of your fam... and YOU!

Mom 2 six said...

Thinking about you - glad your Mom will get better - blood is an amazing thing - how unfortunate it happened. Good thing she was with you.

Rhonda said...

Wow, that's scary! I'm so glad that your mom is no her way to healing and that she has such a great daughter to take care of her. :)

I'm glad that C didn't see any of that.

Sending healing thoughts your momma's way.

A Beautiful Mess said...

Good Gosh! Glad to hear that your mom is on the mend.

As for you my friend.....never a dull moment! You make those people who jump out of airplanes for excitement look like wienies!

xo
Mar

Sandra said...

Who cares about fluff? Really...
I am sure it must have been so scary to see that happen to your mom. And you are right that it was a good thing that C didn't witness that. My grandfather had a heart attack when I was two, and I honestly remember it happening and the chaos that was going on in the room at the time...

Thinking of you and your mom :-)

Polar Bear said...

I am so glad that your mom is on the mend. What a scary situation.

Fluff is just that ~ fluff. Put out there what you need to, not what you think readers want. If they don't like what they read they can click the little red x and all is good. :o)

Thinking of ALL of you.
Hugs!

M :-) said...

Oh my gosh - how incredibly scary! (((hugs))) I'm praying for all of you!

Jenna said...

So glad your mom is doing better.

t~ said...

So sorry your Mom had to go through that. I hope she's back to herself soon.

Keep those plates spinning girlfriend, the minute one falls off, they all seem to.

Lisa (Briana's Mom) said...

Absolutely terrifying! I'm so glad you mom is ok!! Wow!

Joannah said...

Oh, gosh! Your poor mom!!!

I'm so glad to know that she will be okay.

Jill said...

Heck, isn't this what a blog is for?? To share and VENT...good or bad, or ugly as it sounds like this weekend has been. Thanks for keepin' it real girl! I wouldn't want it any other way.
Sorry to hear what happened to your mom, but glad to hear she is on the mend and might be home soon!

Stephe said...

Holy Moly! Glad your mom is okay and you made it through this hurdle. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, life is sure not dull in your world! I am so sorry you all had to go throug this, I can't even imagine. Hope your mom is ok. You are one strong woman! My thoughts are will you all.

Vivian M said...

Girl, you amaze me. I am so glad your Mom is on her way to recovery!
Sending you all huge hugs.

Colleen said...

Thinking of you C. I am so sorry all of this shite is happening... screw the fluff...take care of you and your family.